MY CAT HAS ALL MY PATIENCE HOSTAGE.

Jessica WoodJessica Wood LangleyMember Posts: 125
edited 7 March, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I swear it, she's taken it and put it somewhere I can't find it. Bella is seriously driving me crazy. I think part of the cause is that she's Bengal so she's super active and loves, loves, loves to climb and jump. But we have rules-she isn't allowed on any of the furniture, not the couch, table, counters. And I know she knows this, but right in front of me she'll jump right up as if its her given right to do it. As soon as I make any movement to get up, she runs off and hides. At first a simple, "NO" would get her to stop, then she started to test the limits and got into the "teenager" phase, and we had to move onto the tape method-which she didn't seem to even notice..then spraying her with water. But she got used to that fast and it didn't bother her anymore. Now its gotten to the point where I have to jump up and chase her around making scary noises. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm absolutely insane and abusing small children or something. but this really is not effective, she's too small and quick for me to stop her and she just jets right upstairs to hide and I'm sure it isn't good to try and scare the bejeezus out of her. HOW DO I STOP HER FROM BEING SUCH A TURD? At this point, I try to keep her in the same room as I am so I can watch her and so she can't get into mischief, but that doesn't stop her-she just does it right in front of my anyways. I also try to play with her extra to tire her out, but t seems all this does is makes her go sleep somewhere, and then she wakes up with even more energy than before. I've never had such a defiant, stubborn cat, ever. /deep breaths pleeeeeeease help.:-k

Comments

• Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I taught my cat early on not to jump on counters. He is now 12 and never jumps on the counters. When he's jump on the counters I would scare him by clapping really loud, spraying him, sticky tap/tin foil on the counters. WhenI would see him on the counter I would yell NO NO and put him down on the floor. Eventually he caught on but it did take some time. Why is she not allowed on the couch? Does she have a chair or two to sit on of her own. This may help pursuade her from sitting on the couch. If you praise her for sitting on her own chair that may help. I can not be help in the couch area because my cats are allowed to sit on the furniture. I know my friends cat is not allowed on the couch in the living room. But the cats do have their own chair to sit on. When my friends husband leaves the room though they try and go to sit with my friend on the couch. I think it is in a cats nature to want to sit where their owner sits. I may be wrong?? Good luck!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 23 January, 2009
    Bella, your mom needs to take deep, deep breaths and realize this: you are a cat, not a human child. You don't understand things like "I don't want hair on my couch" or "jumping to the counters is unsanitary". That's not how cats work, and a determined cat will do all of those things, despite what the owner does. When they do, they don't do it to defy the human, they do it because they forgot what it was they were not supposed to do five minutes ago, and even if they realize it's something that the human reacts to, maybe that's not such a bad thing. In fact, your mom's extreme overreactions might even have led you to think this is a game, which is why you keep doing it. Meowmy says that with cats, the only thing you can hope to accomplish is prevention. We are allowed anywhere but the kitchen counters. In order to prevent us from climbing there, there is no furniture (tables, chairs, etc) within reach of it. Dad is not pleased by how far the kitchen table is from our kitchen counter, but that's the only way mom knows how to stop us. So your mom will have to do something similar: make the furniture either unaccessible, or unpleasant to you. As for the kitchen table itself: mom just wipes it clean whenever it is in use and off limits to cats with a lemon scented cleaner. That ensures we'll leave it alone if she's using it to eat or work on. Like the previous poster, I really don't understand why the couch is off limits. We have 2 cat trees, and 2 fleece beds. We still would rather sit next to mom or dad on the couch, so they let us. Sure, that means mom has to use a lint brush on the couch on a regular basis to remove hair, but that's what you sign up for if you have any pet with fur (dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, etc.). If your mom really doesn't want you on the couch, she will have to start covering it with plastic sheeting or something. It might or might not do the trick (If you are like me, the plastic might actually make the couch attractive as a scratch surface). It definitely will not be pleasant for your mom if she goes that route though, but hey, it's her pet peeve. Honestly, I wish more adoption counselor/fosters/breeders would tell prospective pet owners the truth: companion animals will probably shorten the lifespan of your furniture, so if you're very attached to certain furniture, you should think twice before getting a pet. And if you don't realize that fact before you adopt, you need to learn to let it go (you should ask my dad about his all time favorite coffee table sometimes. It took time, but he came around to seeing it my way: it does look more attractive with claw marks on it :))!)
  • Heide LevineHeide Levine Member Posts: 313
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I went to Home Depot (any hardware store will do) and bought shelf holders and shelf boards and created "cat shelves" in my home... there are 4 of them in my house.. 2 of them are above my loveseat... Monkey does have to jump on the loveseat to get to the shelves... but he doesn't stay on the furniture... it's just a "ladder" if you will... I put furry stuff on 2 of the shelves and soft puffy shelf paper stuff on the other 2... Guests think they're decorative and have no idea what they're for LoL... Monkey gets a "high seat" on the world... This stopped ALL furniture use... He also sleeps on top of my husbands curio cabinet... but that's his own fault LoL he doesn't mind though... cats like to have a safe place to "look down" on the world around them... even low furniture is higher then the ground... I'm willing to bet if he had his own kitty place up higher he might be swayed to stop furniture use on his own... Hope I helped, Monkey
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 January, 2009
    Monkey, those are some great ideas. We are lucky to have a very high cat tree, but meowmy has always allowed us on all the furniture. As for the counter thing, well, until meowmy got me she had pretty good luck keeping kitties off the counters. As soon as I was big enough, I just couldn't stay off :)) I would just roll over, smile and purr :))! When Lilly-Rose came to live with us, she was such a nuisance at meal times, well, meowmy feeds her on the counter. I'm no expert on Bengels, but it's our understanding they are major jumpers so getting a cat tree or putting up shelves like Monkey suggested would certainly be a good idea. Before my brofur Aragorn went to the Rainbow Bridge, he was also a major jumper. It sometimes did not make meowmy happy, but she did learn how to take deep, deep breaths!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 23 January, 2009
    A Bengal is a different type of cat. :D You might want to contact a Bengal breeder, gave you a link, and they could best advise you how to train your cat. :D http://www.tica.org/breeders/locations/bg.html CFA does not recognize Bengals, as they feel, they are too close to in generations, to the wild asian leopard. But TICA does recognize them. Here is link to the International Bengal Society. http://www.bengalcat.com/aboutbengals/bengal.aspx They are beautiful cats, have seen them at a few TICA shows I went to, and they are very vocal. Hope this helps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Jessica WoodJessica Wood LangleyMember Posts: 125
    edited 23 January, 2009
    We do have a cat tree/house thing for Bella but she just seems to use it to leap off it onto the couches or table, heh. I personally see nothing wrong with her being on the couches since she hardly sheds and she's never once tried to scratch at the furniture, but my mom just freaks out over it. She thinks if we let her on the couches she'll think she's allowed on everything else as well. We've had many cats before Bella and we never had such a problem training them not to go on the tables/counters and so on. They caught on very fast. We've had Bella since she was 4 months old and we stuck to the rules since the first day she was here, and at first she was very good about it after a little reminding, then out of nowhere she stopped listening and started leaping from the counter to the table to the couch to the coffee table to the chair to her cat house and vice versa, it's quite something to watch but it drives me crazy. I do believe she knows she is not allowed on the furniture though. If she's about to jump up and I see the "look" on her face and I say "no" she gets this other look on her face as though she's trying to say "oh hey, I wasn't planning anything, I'm just looking" and she casually wanders away, and as soon as I'm busy or looking the other direction she'll jump up. She's a smart, tricky one. My mom wants to put up some shelves for her, which I know she'll love, but that may not be for awhile. I'm trying prevention, I've put pillows on the chairs she uses to get up on the table and counter so she can't do it that way but instead she goes across the room to the couch and jumps from there. We can't move the furniture from the counters because we live in a fairly small townhouse. And if I'm upstairs I bring her with me and close the door so she isn't alone in the kitchen/living room area (its all one room) Maybe I'll try filling a can with pennies or something, at least with that I can be across the room (that's the problem with a spray bottle, lol, you have to be close enough to use it) I'm pretty close to just giving up, haha.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 23 January, 2009
    more trees and cat shelves would be a great idea. My boys respond to hissing. Anytime I hear them getting into something they shouldn't, I hiss. If that doesn't work I clap my hands. keeps me from moving too much. I'm lazy haha. Sounds like she just wants more areas to climb and be up high. Since I've made more areas for my cats to climb up or sleep up high, they've went nuts with it.
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I'll start bugging my mom to get some shelves up then, haha. The living room area is open to the second floor so the ceiling in there is about 20 feet high, we could do a lot with all the wall space. Bella already climbs up on the banister along the hallway upstairs, there's windows across from there but too far for her to jump to-but I'm sure I've caught her considering the jump a few times..but with some shelves she could get over there. Any tips on how to put the shelves up? It'd probably be a good idea to cover them in something like carpet so she doesn't slide off, right?
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 January, 2009
    Regarding instructions for putting up the shelves, Home Depot should be able to give you those. Just make sure you use a level and mark the studs, you don't want them coming down when she's jumping from or to. A cat's take off can easily send these over (meowmy used to find the chairs overturned when she got up in the morning, hehehe). Covering the shelves with carpeting is also a good idea. You can usually get either remnants or samples either free or pretty cheap. Good luck!
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 27 January, 2009
    My favourite method on how to keep cats off the kitchen counter is to slice lemons and put them there. It worked with my sister's cat Katy within a couple of days. It might work with Bella. Cats don't like the smell of lemons, but they're cheap and smell nice to us, so it's worth a try. As for keeping her off the couch, I have no advice for you there. I had to teach my cat Sammie she was allowed to get on the couch when I adopted her!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 January, 2009
    I guess I'm a little confused as to why someone who would have rehomed a Bengal who "didn't work out" because of personality issues would adopt another Bengal and expect her to not act like a Bengal.:-k It's true that pets generally learn to adapt to the expectations of their owners, but to a large extent, owners have to learn to adapt to their pets, too. It probably would be a good idea to adjust the environment to accommodate Bella. It would at least make more sense than punishing her for being what you knew she was before you adopted her.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 31 January, 2009
    i dont know what to say... its going to be hard to keep bella from being what she is: a breed of cat that likes to play and jump, and be with her people. could you try to talk to your mom about the furniture? what exactly about the cat being on it bothers her? maybe you can reguarlly clean the hair if thats the issue. my cats are not allowed on the kitchen table or kitchen counters. but they have other thigns to climb on. they pretty much keep off it EXCEPT TINY. shes a brat and will get on the counter when my back is turned. i havent figured out a way to get her to stop. ive tried all the 'tricks' i just live with it and in a way it helps me keep a REALLY clean kitchen, because i have to put away all food items or else tiny is into it :)) sorry to say, but i dont know if you are going to convice bella to stay off EVERYTHING... :-/
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 2 February, 2009
    There are rules? But this is MY house and you are MY staff. Can't help you with the Bengal, but it sounds like you're playing right into a game that the cat has defined. I do bad, you chase me and make funny sounds.
    edited 20 February, 2009
    in response to Bert: The first cat we adopted didn't work out because he'd basically attack my dog who was less than half his size (as well as go up on leather couches and claw, and not stop when you told him "no" etc, but the way he was with my dog made us nerv0us and was the main reason we couldn't keep him. We found him a very good home, though). We also figured a kitten would learn easier than an older cat. Bella is getting a little better. Sort of. We put a shelf up in "her" room and she seems to like it. In time we'll probably put some up over the living room as well, and hopefully she can get her climbing-urges out up on them instead of on the counters. I'll try the lemons, thank you for the suggestion.
  • Sabrina SalisburySabrina Salisbury PrescottMember Posts: 197
    edited 2 March, 2009
    Another trick to helping keep kitties off the counters is to just not leave anything interesting up there! Because if something smells or looks interesting up there, they are just going to go up there no matter what! But if it's boring, then they are less likely to want to get up there so bad. Also you CAN find online a cat alarm, that you can set on the counter and it will emit a high-pitched noise if it senses the cat on the counter. This is a good way to teach them to not get on the counters even when you're not around.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 7 March, 2009
    personally i would try compromise. i couldn't imagine my cats not sitting next to me. so i slip covered my couch. honestly it had more to do with my hooman child, but it makes getting hair off a breeze. i wash it, it comes off. as far as kitchen counters, that is a pet peeve of mine as well. i tried, didn't work. sooo i keep it clean. anythin light enough for a cat to bat is in the cupboard. same with all food stuffs. and prior to cooking i use those sanitary wipes. i do believe your mom needs to loosen up. the kitchen i totally understand, but the couch??
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 7 March, 2009
    "as well as go up on leather couches and claw, and not stop when you told him "no" etc," Just to let you know that it is in a cats nature to scratch and by saying NO it will not deter them. My one cat scratches the furniture but I have had to find ways to deter him. Some of the solutions do not look nice and are very inconvenient to me. But I would never give him away for this behaviour. He means more to me then a piece of furniture. Furniture can be replaced. And I know this from experience b/c I had bought expensive new furniture a few years back and he would scratch it. I have learnt after years of experimenting that giving him a piece of carpet to scratch next to the couch and covering the couches with plastic around the corners when I am not home both help tremendously. He would also scratch at the door and so I would put a window screen (I found at a garage sale) up against the doors and this would deter him. Now after many years I don't have to put them up because he learned not to scratch at the doors finally =; Yes, cats will play at your patience but what you have to remember is that they are only being CATS. And changing their behaviour will not happen over night...it may evn take years....=; But remember cats love YOU no matter what...I wish humans could be more like that!