HELP!! ANY ADVICE WELCOME

Virginia HowardVirginia Howard Member Posts: 16
edited 15 March, 2009 in Maine Coon
I have had cats for 40 years now and never experienced ring worms until now. i just adopted a wonderful mix breed, possibly part maine coon, and he has ring worm all over his face!!! The vet said that it is common and that it is just one of those things that can happen. Any suggestions? - I am not letting the kids touch him; I wash after I pet him; I am keeping the other kids from him; anything else?

Comments

• Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 15 March, 2009
    Ringworm can be terribly contagious! I would isolate the cat. I assume since your vet is aware of the problem that your cat is being treated. Ringworm is a fungal infection that sheds spores so daily cleaning should be done. A 10% bleach solution sould be your best bet, since this will help to kill the spores. Good luck! here is more information http://www.penstone-vets.co.uk/ringworm_cats.htm
  • Virginia HowardVirginia Howard Member Posts: 16
    edited 15 March, 2009
    Thanks! The vet gave me a topical solution to apply daily for 4 WEEKS!! I look terrible right now as all the places on my face where I was infected has caused me to lose my hair!! I know it will grow back in time and I hope that I am never exposed to this again!! Luckily none of my humans have caught it and the vet said it is actually less contagious to adults than children. Thanks for the website reference too!!