Cheap but adequate cat litters?

Amanda StarAmanda Star VictoriaMember Posts: 221
edited 16 March, 2009 in Grooming
Well, Meowma has been very pressed for money lately, and she has to switch from the Feline Pine we were using (scoopable variety), to a much cheaper litter. It was either the litter or the food, and she'd rather have us pooping on junk than eating it. So our economic compromise is that we get to keep eating CORE dry and EVO wet, but we get cheap litter in the box. Right now we've got the Special Kitty litter in our boxes (temporary), but Meowma wants to know what the cheapest possible litter is that is still somewhat adequate in function. She tried the Purina litter with disastrous results- 3/5 cats stopped using the box (two just used the one box that still had Feline Pine, and the other avoided them altogether because the Feline Pine one was so dirty), and with the pee from the other two, it wouldn't clump and it just broke up. So yeah, Tidy Cats is a no go. But suggesting any other really, /really/ cheap litters you cats know about would be appreciated. Also, none of us will use pellet litters. Meowma's tried, but they have to be scoopable.

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 6 November, 2008
    We use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra scoopable litter for multiple cats. It's about $15 - $16 for a big 40 bag at our local PetSmart. It works great too - clumps hard, contols odors well, and we all like it.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 6 November, 2008
    We use Cat's Pride Scoopable. It isn't as expensive as Tidy Cat and does a good job. We all like it.
  • Amanda StarAmanda Star VictoriaMember Posts: 221
    edited 6 November, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, kitties, Meowma will look into both types of litter. :D
  • Marisol VazquezMarisol Vazquez ChicagoMember Posts: 75
    edited 7 November, 2008
    I used to buy World's Best Cat Litter but it got way too expensive with 4 cats! They use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra scoopable now and it works great!!! It clumps, eleminates bad odors, it's not as dusty as other clay litters and it doesn't have any perfumes. It costs like $9 for a 18lb bag and $17 for a 4olb bag. Some dollar stores also sell cat litter for very low prices.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 7 November, 2008
    That's really too bad that they won't use pellets. We buy wood stove pellets at building supply stores for $4 per 40 pound bag. They're really good at keeping urine smells in. I've never noticed litter box smell in the house and neither have any guests that I've asked.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 8 November, 2008
    Khina, that's what we do, use pine pellets. We get them at a feed store and they're used in horse stalls. 40 pounds for 6 dollars. Of course one of us didn't like pellets, so mommy prepared it like you do for horse stalls. She dampened it slightly so the pellets fell apart...it gets like twice the volum so you have even more to use! We all love it and it doesn't stick to the litterbox or smell. And mommy loves that. Buzzzin' Little Bee
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 9 November, 2008
    If you have a Costco the litter they sell is really cheap at 7$ for 40lbs, but it is clumping clay, but works well if you dont mind clay. I use Natures Miracle it is 12.98$ for 10lbs and its really good for no dust, but doenst clump the greatest, but good for smell wise.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 9 November, 2008
    I'm with Shadow. We buy Scoop Away litter from Costco. It's the one without crystals in it, which makes it somewhat cheaper, but it works pretty serviceably. Mom tried to move us to a feline pine scoopable litter, but I fussed about it unless it was mixed with clay, and dad's litter allergies (once upon a time he thought he was allergic to cats, but it was just some kinds of litter that he is allergic to) got really bad. So we went back to Scoop Away, and it's worked pretty good for us. Mom does dump everything out weekly, though, and start with a new batch of litter, so 40 lbs. lasts us between 3 weeks and a month.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 19 November, 2008
    we usually use tidy cat with no problem, however in a pinch mom will use fresh step or scoop away. scoop away clumps real hard but if you get the scented it is SUPER STRONG, like yucky strong. so maybe the unscented?
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 19 November, 2008
    I have always used Fresh Step and am too paranoid to switch it. She likes it and it clumps well and I don't notice huge amounts of dust. I only notice "cat smells" if I am a bad mom and don't actually scrub the box as often as a I should.
  • Lilly KoonsLilly Koons LouisvilleMember Posts: 159
    edited 7 December, 2008
    We use to stick to Scoop away, which was nice and clumped good. Really good clumper, After that we switched to cheaper kind since we upgraded his food and now we use Arm&Hammer or Purnia's Tidy cat. Which Tidy cat doesn't clump as well as Arm and Hammer but I think Tidy controls the scent better. I'm put baking soda in there when I change litter.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 13 December, 2008
    I use cuddles. I used to use pretty price stuff dont remember what its called. Anyways we had to cut back on stuff so I tried cuddles its 12 bucks for 50 pound bag. Clumps, smells awesome and honestly is no different in apperance or in the way it works then the expensive stuff.
  • Heather YorkshonHeather Yorkshon Member Posts: 30
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Try the Publix brand of Feline Pine. It's waaaaaayyyy cheaper.
  • Laura FingerLaura Finger AustinMember Posts: 65
    edited 31 December, 2008
    The dust from the clay has wrecked havoc on my lungs and on both of the cats. So I decided to try Nature\'s Miracle and World\'s Best at the same time. One kind in each box, just in case somebody got upset. They never do when I switch cat litters, but I didn\'t want to waste any money in the process by having to throw away rejected litter. I like both of them, but I\'m not crazy about Nature\'s Miracle\'s pine scent. They\'re both so light that I LOVE toting it and shaking the box to get the poo to float up (a la Dr. Pierson\'s method) is a snap.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 2 January, 2009
    yeah i know how it goes with being on a budget. With 4 cats theres no way i can get away with non-clumping. the smell or urine would take over the house unless i completely dumped it every day. scoop is def. easyer and i think cheeper because you dont have to throw away the entire box. I think shweat scoop lasts but it can be a bit pricey. I personally am not a fan of speical kitty i dont think it covers up the smell. Cats pride is good. and here in Michigan we have a store called Meijers and there scoop is okay. I would try the diffrent generics at the store and see.
  • c walkerc walker Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 February, 2009
    What is 'cuddles' litter? Where would I buy it? I can't find any info about it.
  • nadia jahjanadia jahja Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 March, 2009
    Have you ever looked into Chicken Feed? in Australia they have special for cats from chicken feed, called wonder wheat. Really excellent product no smells, and it clumps and not to mention safe! Normal, coarse grainy chicken feed works well too! but keep in mind they might have hormones, etc. So choose really careful and try to find out what is in it. Being in Asia, I use that and the cost are so much cheaper compared to the imported kitty litter. Also careful with the clumping litter product, especially the ones with clay, I once read it is dangerous for your kittens as they might eat them.