Help/Advice Needed ASAP .. Over-worrying kitty parent +7 cats+ forclosure = DISASTER!

Stephanie TeschnerStephanie Teschner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 127
edited 9 May, 2009 in Cats & Travel
Hello all, I didn't know where to put this.. but I am close to the point where I am going to lose my mind. My family consists of 4 (My Boyfriend, My Disabled mother, my 13 year old sister and myself) plus 7 heavenly cats that I wouldn't be able to live without. I'm sure you all know where I'm coming from. About 2 years ago my parents refinanced our house because of a pipe-dream small business that never took off, raising our monthly payments on the house. Soon after, my jerk of a father left the household because of unresolvable differences between him and my mom. With that, he took his paycheck along with him which was used to pay the house payments. My mother cannot work and her disability could not pay over a grand a month plus other monthly bills and stay afloat, even with the help of my boyfriends job. Needless to say, we fell under... Fast. She tried asking them to lower the payments but they refused. Fast forward a year and they filed for bankruptcy which held off the foreclosure for 6 or so months. Fast forward another year and the foreclosure is at an end. We now are desperately looking for a place to live without having to give up our treasured and oh so loved animals. We don't know how long we have, we have to call someone tomorrow to find out for sure... And although my boyfriend and I are in our early 20's, we can't move out on our own because we swore that we'd take care of my mother who has MS and parent my sister. Now we are scrambling fast to find a place to go and I don't know where to start or who to turn to. I know 7 cats is a lot... but I won't give them up. I'm really scared... I'm to the point of throwing up and I just don't know what to do. We have been looking online and through the paper for pet friendly apartments, but they turn out to be 2 cats maximum and most require all pets to be declawed, which I am VERY against. I, myself, have been looking for homes for rent.. but to find a place, in a good neighborhood is like looking for a needle in a haystack. So if anyone has a home for rent in Milwaukee, WI... let me know. I do have one question... Would it be possible to rent a home through a Realtor company? Otherwise, I'm just looking for peace of mind because I am absolutely on the brink of tears :((... So, If any of you have any advice or helpful tips... please share.. It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 30 March, 2009
    Franky: I work for a social service agency - United Cerebral Palsy, but we are in South Louisiana. So, put my thinking cap on, and checked on the Internet. Below are some agencies and phone numbers that might be of some help. Be sure to mention your mother having Multiple Sclerosis, as her being handicapped might mean there is additonal help in finding housing, etc. Since I do not know where in Milwaukee you live, I just copied down all of the contacts I found: 1) Kenoska Country Dept. of Human Services 2262-605-6528 Ron Rogers, Lead Supervisor 2) La Causa Family Resource Center 414-902-1624 Staci Hansen 3) Family Resource Center of Sherman Park 414-444-5760 Gloria Tanner 4) St. Vincent de Paul Society of Milwaukee 414-374-0109 Stephany Pruitt Hope one of these agencies can be of some help, and please keep us posted. In the meantime we will certainly be purring and praying for your family.
  • Stephanie TeschnerStephanie Teschner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 127
    edited 30 March, 2009
    Thanks so much!! I am in Milwaukee, WI. So I'm not sure which number to call. Anyways, my boyfriends family lives in an apartment and is going to ask their landlord if he is looking for tenants here in our part of town, so hopefully, there might be a lead. The fact that my mother is disabled is really hard... she can't talk to anyone on the phone because her tongue gets twisted and her words don't come out to coherently, making it hard for her to explain our situation to anyone. So thankfully, my boyfriend - whom is basically is my fiance... just not official yet - is going to call the guy to find out a time frame that we have to be out or if there are any other options. We are willing to rent from them at a better price, but am unsure if this is possible. Thank you so much for keeping me in your purrayers.. I just know that whenever I am in a bind with my kitties, that I can come here and let go and start to feel better.
    edited 30 March, 2009
    Forgot to ask, does your mom have anyone coming in to help her with bathing, etc......or does she need this type of help? And....DUH....I forgot to check for the United Cerebral Palsy office in Milwaukee.....here is the contact info: United Cerebral Palsy of Milwaukee 414-329-4500. Ask to speak to the person in charge of Independent Living. They offer help in finding affordable housing, as well as having someone come to the house to assist your mom with bathing, dressing, cooking meals, etc. Though the more places you had to call, the more chances you might get some help. UCP helps people with all sorts of disabilities, and glad to be able to pass on this info. Please keep us posted, everyone here is glad to help in some way, if only to offer prayers and purrs.
    edited 30 March, 2009
    No, she doesn't need anyone to help her because we are there. Lol. My boyfriend and I take care of her and do whatever she needs done. She's pretty able to do things on her own.. Bathe, Eat, Walk... she just can't get around and definitely can't get outside on her own. So we do her errands for her and take her places that she needs to go. But otherwise, she doesn't need nurse care because she has us. :)
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 March, 2009
    Can you apply for a carers benefit?:-k. I congratulate you in all the work your are doing, as I can imagine it is not easy to step into your mothers shoes so young. There are also websites where you might be able to earn money doing things on line. Maybe for you or your mother if you have time this might be of interest to you I saw this posted on another website and thought it would be handy http://workathomemomrevolution.blogspot.com/ Just an idea, good luck with it all.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 30 March, 2009
    OH MY we are purring for you and your family. Please keep the faith that God will take care of you. We know it is hard - we have had some bad luck lately and are just now getting back on our feet. xoxoxo
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March, 2009
    This might be too late for you, but it's an interesting article about a strategy to delay foreclosure: Homeowners' Rallying Cry: Produce the Note I don't know if there are rescue groups in your area that might be able to help you find temporary foster homes for your kitties until you're in a suitable home, but it's worth looking into. |:|
    edited 31 March, 2009
    Thank you all for your support. We tried calling the guy today, and he wasn't there, so now we have to wait for a call back. >.> I hate playing phone tag. It's so.. ugh.. stressful. All I can look forward is to thursday, which is the only day out of the week I go and volunteer at my local cat shelter, due to all this stuff going down. But again, thank you all for your support and purrs.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 2 April, 2009
    I don't have any advice. I wish you the best though. I'm sure it'll work out in the end for you. Please keep us updated. |:|
    edited 2 April, 2009
    Well, we got a call back and was told that we have to be out by the end of the month. The whole family is in a tizzy while we scurry around and pack and find a place to live. I hope we find one soon! :-/ :((
    edited 2 April, 2009
    I work at a hotel. We've got a couple families staying here long term until they find a place, it's not exactly cheap but we give them the lowest rate possible and we've allowed all of them to bring their pets. So you might want to call around and see if any of them can help you out. Ask for weekly or monthly rates, and if possible talk to an assistant manager or a general manager so you can explain your situation.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 5 April, 2009
    Have you been served with any kind of paperwork? They can't just tell you, you have to get out, they have to serve you with some kind of paperwork. It also seems like your father is responsible for some kind of support for your mother, and your sister, who is still a minor. You really need to talk to a lawyer, and see what your rights are, look in your phone book for Legal Aid. I went thru this too, lost my home, they bullied me out, didn't know they had to serve papers, which takes months. But it all turned out OK, I found a great apt, with a great landlord, that let me have my cats. Call the newspapers, they love human interest stories, where "the man" is trying to stick it to less fortunate people. Best of luck to you, keep praying, it will all turn out OK. (((((((((BIG HUGS TO YOU)))))))))
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 5 April, 2009
    :(( Franky,we hope your family found a place. I was going to suggest calling the United Way--and I would re-think not calling the Cerebral Palsy agency; they may be able to help find housing at a reduced price. We're purring that things go better for you in the very near future.
    edited 5 April, 2009
    BooBoo is right. United Cerebral Palsy can help you mother - since she had CP (and of course the rest of your family) find affordable housing. The other suggestions you have received are also excellent. Call Legal Aid and see what they can do for you....get in contact with local TV station and speak to the reporter who does the "human interest" stories. Please keep us posted on your progress. Sending Purrs and Prayers The New Orleans Kitties.....
    edited 8 April, 2009
    Well, we have an update, and it's a good one. We were served papers, yes, so it is official. We have to be out by the end of the month. But thankfully, my Grandma, who wasn't too keen on taking us all in before, said that she would take us in.. At least temporarily. But the search for places looks bleak. We can't find much right now, so it might be longer than she bargained for. Either way, we have a place to go for now. It's a smaller house though... my boyfriend and I, plus 5 of the cats will have to live in her basement, since there aren't many rooms up above. The basement needs work done, but we hardly have the money to pay for professional work. Saturday, we are going over there to assess what needs to be done (leaks and whatnot) and then do what we can to make it at least "livable". I don't feel comfortable living in a dingy basement, but there's not much else we can do right now. But the main thing is that we'll have a place to stay. :) Thanks again all, for your support!
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 8 April, 2009
    Thank you for the update, Franky, we have been so worried about you and your lovely family. We are keeping our paws crossed that you find something more permanent in the near future - keep the faith! |:|
    edited 9 April, 2009
    We are so glad to read you has somewhere to go, this will give you more time to find a more permanent place to live. Please keep us posted, and we will continue to purr and pray for you. The New Orleans Kitties - Charmaine Neville, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Benny Grunch, Pete Fountain and Buddy Bolden
    edited 13 April, 2009
    As I suspected, my Grandma backed out and said only my mom could live with her. As soon as we found out, we took a crack at the paper and looked for places that my boyfriend and I could stay. No luck because we couldn't make a security deposit. And one month free rent wouldn't work because they do credit checks and my boyfriends credit isn't great and I don't have any. We thought all was lost. I have cried more than I ever have. But one night, on our paper route (Yeah, we work for the paper and deliver for them), a house had a for rent sign on their lawn. The route is only a stone's throw away from our current house. She agreed to work with us because of our poor situation! So as of tomorrow, when we drop off a down payment, it will be held for us! So now we have a place to go! (I hope.) :-/ I over worry. Hehe.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April, 2009
    I hope it works out for you. We are purring for you, purrs accross the world all the way from New Zealand to your place.:)
  • Grace McLeanGrace McLean Member Posts: 406
    edited 13 April, 2009
    Hugs to you and your family. This must be so incredibly stressful and difficult. We don't have any advice other than to have faith that things will improve. Your mom and your kitties are lucky to have you. We hope things work out with the house for rent. Love, Mouse and Family |:||:||:|
    edited 13 April, 2009
    We were so happy to read that you have found a place to rent. What about your little sister? Will she be with you and your boyfriend or with ya'll's mother and grandmother?? Will continue to purr and pray that this works out for you and your family. Hugs and Purrs - The New Orleans Kitties Charmaine Neville, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Benny Grunch, Pete Fountain and Buddy Bolden
    edited 13 April, 2009
    Yup, my sis will live with us. :) We just made the down payment, so the place is ours. Alleluia. I'm so happy... but you know those nagging doubts that always come up? That's me right now. But I just have to deal with it and pray that everything is going to be fine. I know I say this a lot, but again, thank you ALL for being so supportive. You guys are the best! |:| If I could give out ribbons to each and every one of you, I would. But I guess that best I can do is a .. dancing hamster. ;) |/h/|
    edited 15 April, 2009
    Dancing hamster works for me lol I'm glad you found a place. what a relief! =;
    edited 16 April, 2009
    I really am starting to believe I am cursed.:(( Everything was going fine.. until Franky and Sunny got into a mad tussle, leaving Franky hurt bad. He's got a cut on his head and on his nose bridge, but the most painful is his swollen ankle/paw. I swear he got bit there due to a little bite hole that crusted over with blood/whatever else. I cleaned it off as best as I could but it's so painful. Due to our situation, our funds are dwindling so a vet trip is our LAST resort. I did get some amoxi pills from the shelter I volunteer at.. Their kindness is amazing. So he is on an antibiotic course in case of infection or abscess. I also just used a cold compress on the swelling to help it go down, but me being me. I am over worrying too much. Nrr. This is the last thing I need. x.x
    edited 27 April, 2009
    Not sure if any of you check this thread anymore, but I have some bad news. The worst happened, and while I deep down expected it, I wish it didn't have to happen. I forlornly had to give up 3 of my cats to the shelter that I volunteer at and possibly more if things don't work out the right way. I'm so heartbroken, it makes me so sick inside. But, we have a place to stay, which is the main thing. And I get to have 2 cats, which is something at least. So keep us in your prayers.. We'll need it! I'm panicking as it is!!!::o
  • Barbara HansonBarbara Hanson Member Posts: 1,232
    edited 27 April, 2009
    Which cats went to the shelter? We will say a purrayer that they find a home soon! |/a/||/a/|
    edited 28 April, 2009
    Sunny and Fancy went to the shelter and at the last minute, a family member came and took Missy in for me. He's a God-Send. I know she'll be VERY happy there.
  • N SN S Member Posts: 188
    edited 29 April, 2009
    Just know we are purring for you.. and pray it all works out. You are handling a lot on your plate. It sounds like you have a prince for a Boyfriend and a good family. so very very sorry you had to part with any kitties. My heart goes out to you. |:|
  • Annette GastelumAnnette Gastelum Anaheim HillsMember Posts: 1,835
    edited 9 May, 2009
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation...Things will get better..We are purring for you here in California|:||:||:||:|